These light texture quinoa pancakes are perfect for breakfast. Nutty whole wheat flour, fluffy ricotta, and tender cooked quinoa add flavor and texture to these light pancakes, due to the clever addition of whipped egg whites.
Quinoa is a nutrient-rich grain native to South America and eaten worldwide as a healthy food. Like quinoa grains, quinoa greens (green leaves, sprouts, and microgreens) are also rich in nutrients and have health promoting properties such as being antimicrobial, anticancer, antidiabetic, antioxidant, antiobesity, and cardio-beneficial.
Quinoa greens are gluten-free and provide an excellent source of protein, amino acids, essential minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. Quinoa greens represent a promising value-added vegetable that could resolve malnutrition problems and contribute to food and nutritional security.
- 1 cup (about 4 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (about 2 ounces) whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 cup cooked and cooled red quinoa
- Unsalted butter
- Fresh blueberries
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together egg yolks, milk, ricotta, maple syrup, vanilla, and lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Whisk egg yolk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in quinoa.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment on medium speed until stiff peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Fold egg whites into quinoa mixture in 2 additions until just combined.
- Heat an electric griddle to 375 °F (or a large stainless-steel skillet over medium-low). Lightly grease a griddle with butter. Working in batches, spoon about 1/3 cup batter per pancake onto the griddle. Cook until sides look set and bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes; remove pancakes from griddle. Wipe griddle clean. Repeat process with remaining batter.
- Divide pancakes evenly among plates; top with butter, maple syrup, and blueberries.
Nutritional value of Quinoa pancakes (100 gr.)
- Calories 200 kcal.
- Proteins 12 gr.
- Fats 7 gr.
- Carbohydrates 27 gr.